In Good Time

I just have to immortalize here some of the crazy/adorable things my kids do.

One of my recent kids, Bran, is a chatterbox and sometimes annoying to put it mildly but there are some days where I could just melt. The other day, I told him that the booklets that I give out are invaluable after he lost one of them and I told him that it costs $1 to produce just one (I was kidding of course) but he took my feigned disappointment to heart and the cutie pulls out a dollar and hands it to me (he's only 12). I told him that was very sweet but that I was only pulling his leg.

A favourite topic of his is dating. He talks to one classmate about it and about his girlfriend. Because I can clearly hear his conversation, he asked me not to mention any of this to his sister (who I also teach). Isn't that so cute? He said that his sister may blab it to his mom and then his mom will kill him. He wants to grow up fast but his mom doesn't give him that much freedom which I'm glad to hear.

Speaking of which, he told me about the long journey it took him to get his earring (which I don't allow him to wear in class). He said it took 3 years for his mom to come around and allow him to get one. She absolutely forbade it but he was relentless and I think he probably drove her insane, that's why she gave in.

Let's talk about my gorgeous jacket that I bought at MWWH. Who knew that they'd have stylish clothes for 20-somethings. When I went on Friday, all I saw was grandmothers. I felt out of place but I should add I went in the afternoon when everyone else was at work. The jacket has a little bit of military in it but it's mostly a short trench coat. It's a neutral green and has belt and all the pockets that I need. I also got 2 dress pants. One is a gorgeous charcoal colour, the other a sandy colour. Both a little thin in material but you have to compromise sometimes.

I still haven't figured out what to do about my to-do list. Last night, I tried going to sleep early and waking up early (I set my alarm to 8 am). I woke up at 11 am. I didn't even have time to straighten my hair. I just braided it, checked my emails, had breakfast, and went to work. This waking up early thing won't work for me even when I'm getting 10 hours of sleep. I think I'll continue to sleep late like I usually do (3 - 4 am). Only problem is that I get too tired in those late hours and I don't work efficiently so I don't get as much work done as I'd like. I'm slow and I take too many breaks. I need help. I don't know what to do. And my assignments are coming up for my course which I haven't started on yet. And I've falling a little bit behind on my reflections.

I haven't even faxed the letter to VP PS, for crying out loud. The thing that's really weighing me down is the marking. That's gobbling up my time the way interest charges gobble up my money. The little time I have is being spent trying to get through all the marking which tops 100 papers a week. On top of which I have to plan for what to teach. I have to figure out what to do about it.

Let's talk about the jokers in facebook. So many of the people I knew are on the fast-track to marriage city, some of whom are already there--Ro, Cher, B, Shel, Shoba, Share Bear, A&G, and the list goes on. I know I'm not fooling myself when I say that I'm not old because I'm not. The thing is, it makes me feel a little lost when I hear what goes on in their life. I think I'd feel a little better if I had a perm teaching job--I'd have one big piece of the puzzle in place. And then I won't feel sad (not to mention being pressed for time all the time). In fact, I could spring into action and work on becoming a VP or principal. I already have a head start with this course.

If only to dream. It's a long way to becoming a VP. Another unsettling and slightly more complicated matter is that I'm not in a relationship. I know many of my friends would tell me to quit this melodrama but I've noticed that those who are in a healthy relationship met their husbands in respectable places like school. Where do you meet people when you're no longer in school? At work? Is that why single gals who have a relationship with someone late in the game end up having a divorce shortly after?

Enough pondering for one day.

GW

Read Users' Comments (1)comments

1 Response to "In Good Time"

  1. Karim Kassam , on 9 May 2007 at 09:47 said:

    The teaching thing makes it difficult to have a relationship - We teachers work odd hours, it's no surprise that teachers end up marrying other teachers :P.

    As far as school goes... Without the forced socialization that university brings, it's tough to meet other people, especially when you work your head off, like most teachers do :P

    No more pondering! Pondering gets you in trouble (sometimes)! :P